Thursday, July 19, 2012

Math King and Queen Crowns

I play a game called "Math King and Queen" with my kiddos every year with flashcards for whatever math topic we are working on that I have flashcards for. The last boy and girl remaining are the King and the Queen for the day and get to wear crowns. I was using typical paper birthday crowns I borrowed from a Kindergarten teacher, laminated them and wrote the words Math King and Math Queen on them. It was cool when we were in the hall and someone would say, "Math King huh? So what's 4 x 7?" The King would be put on the spot, but it really showed how well that student knew the facts. 


My 3rd graders this past year didn't enjoy wearing those particular crowns very much, but they LOVED the game and the competition aspect of it. I wanted to see what your opinion would be.


Should I find some sort of "real" boy crown and girl crown for them to wear? 

Should I just go with paper crowns again?


Is there a better prize/award for being the winner?


I would love some help deciding!

No comments: