Saturday, February 12, 2011

Friday Afternoon Movies :)

My teacher friend Kathy and I have started having Friday afternoon movie dates! Last year, I started going to movies with her and some of her students that reached a certain goal with their AR points on an occasional Friday, but that was for a movie suitable for 8 year olds. We have seen a couple of "grown-up" movies together before, but we are starting a new Friday afternoon activity! I have loved it so far. We have decided to go each Friday that there is a movie worth seeing until the end of the school year when I have baby Kaylee b/c that means next school year I will not be able to go with her since I will have to tend to my baby girl :) So far we have seen The Dilemma with Vince Vaughn and Kevin James and The King's Speech with Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush.
The Dilemma was a good romantic/drama filled comedy. The whole movie was set around the fact that Vince Vaughn had a dilemma to figure out: To tell or not to tell his best friend (Kevin James) that his wife is cheating on him. Will not get into anymore details, b/c I wouldn't want to ruin it for anyone, I give it 3 stars. Good movie for gals and girls!


Ahh, The King's Speech. I would have never thought in a million years that this would be a movie that I would love, but I did. Typically, movies that are nominated for awards are not movies that I enjoy. The plots are either too in depth, the people speak in a way I don't understand, or the movie is just not interesting to me. This movie on the other hand was amazing. The basis of the movie is that Colin Firth has a stuttering problem that he must overcome since he is part of the royal family in England. When he becomes King George the 6th, it is even more vital that his speech is impeccable for the amazing radio broadcasts that had been invented in the late 30s. The whole movie is set around Colin Firth taking speech lessons from Geoffrey Rush to overcome his stuttering problem. I loved every minute of it and it was all history based (I despise history). Highly recommend this to all adults young and old. I give this movie 5 stars!

No comments: